Apple and Cheddar Pancakes Topped with Caramelized Apples and WalnutsBack to recipes list
These fluffy and moist apple and cheddar pancakes are delicious topped with a caramelized apple and walnut garnish.
Ingredients for the pancakes:
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) baking powder
- 0.5 ml (1/8 tsp.) cinnamon
- One pinch nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, peeled and grated
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) cheddar cheese
- Sufficient amount of butter for cooking
Ingredients for the apple and walnut mixture:
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) butter
- 4 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) walnuts, coarsely chopped
In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Add the grated apples and cheddar and mix well.
In a pan, sauté the apples in butter for 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and let simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until apples are tender but firm. Remove from heat and add the walnuts. Mix and set aside.
In a non-stick pan, melt a little bit of butter over medium heat and pour about ¼ cup of the batter for each pancake. Lightly spread the batter and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes per side or until the pancakes are well cooked and golden brown. Use two pans to go faster. Serve with the apple and walnut garnish and a little bit of maple syrup.