Mexican Style Stuffed Sweet PotatoesBack to recipes list
This sweet potato recipe is loaded with Mexican flavours and big on colours, and makes for a delicious light vegetarian lunch or side dish. It is guaranteed to make your mouth water!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cleaned (2 pounds in total)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) cumin
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp.) ground coriander
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp.) smoked paprika
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 125 ml (½ cup) whole kernel corn
- 125 ml (½ cup) black beans, cooked
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fresh coriander, chopped, and more for garnishing
- 250 ml (1 cup) Biobio cheddar cheese, grated
- Tabasco to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400°F. Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil. Put in the oven and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until tender. Let cool before cutting the sweet potato in half. Remove the flesh while keeping 1 cm thick of potato flesh. In a bowl, scoop out the flesh, mash, and set aside.
In the meantime, soften the onions in oil in a skillet for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, red bell pepper, corn and spices, and cook for 5 minutes. Add this mixture to a bowl with the black beans, sweet potato flesh, coriander and half of the cheddar cheese. Mix and add Tabasco to taste. Salt and pepper.
Stuff each potato generously and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Put in the oven and cook for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Credit © Cindy Wong