Potato Nests with Eggs, Ham and Biobio MozzarellaBack to recipes list
These tasty potato nests are perfect for when you are having people over for brunch. Prepare them all at once and cook them in the oven at the same time! A real treat!
Ingredients for the potato nests:
- 1 litre (4 cups) potatoes, peeled and grated
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp.) salt
- Pepper to taste
- Sufficient amount of oil to grease the muffin tins
Ingredients for the egg mixture:
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 6 large eggs
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) ham, finely diced
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) Biobio mozzarella cheese
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Biobio Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fine herbs to taste (parsley, basil, chives, cilantro…)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 °F. Generously grease the muffin tins. Wrap the grated potatoes in a clean cloth and wring out to remove excess water. This step is important to get crispy potatoes.
In a bowl, mix the potatoes with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the potatoes in the muffin tins, covering the bottom and slightly pressing the mixture up the edges to form a nest. Put in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy on the sides.
In the meantime, sauté the onions in a skillet with butter and oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and peppers and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients of the eggs mixture and mix thoroughly.
Spread the egg mixture in the potato nests and put in the oven for 15 to minutes or until eggs are cooked. Serve warm.