Butternut Squash, Apple and Cheddar SoupBack to recipes list
This mild and slightly sweet soup is perfect for those crisp fall days.
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 180 ml (¾ cup) extra-sharp Biobio cheddar, aged 1, 2 or 3 years
- 125 ml (½ cup) 35% cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven at 425 °F.
In an ovenproof dish or on a large cooking sheet, place all the ingredients except for the chicken stock, cheese and cream. Salt and pepper, and mix well to cover the vegetables with oil. Cook in the oven for about 60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and slightly grilled. Stir several times through cooking time.
Remove the bay leaves and bring the vegetables to a smooth puree using a food processor. Transfer the puree in a pot and add the chicken broth. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the Biobio extra-sharp cheddar cheese and the cream, and mix over low heat until the cheese has melted. Salt and pepper. Serve hot.